I decided to finally finish writing about my trip to NYC. I realize that this is old news - but trust me, not much has been happening in my life lately to fill you in on.
Day four of my trip started at the Guggenheim. This is a Frank Lloyd Wright building. It’s very beautiful. They have changing art exhibitions there. At the time is was Louise Bourgeois. The art wasn’t my cup of tea, but the building was worth the trip.
After a quick stop there we headed off to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I cannot even begin to describe how amazing this place is. It is massive, and grand, and beautiful, and overwhelming, and they have the most incredible art I have ever seen. We didn’t even make it through the whole thing, and we spent hours there. The art spans all of time. And they have it displayed so well. The rooms go with the art and make you feel you are in the time period/era that the art was made. One of my favorite things there were the American History rooms. They had entire rooms done that looked like they were taken out of a well-to-do family’s home in early America. They were gorgeous. Also, there was a giant hall of Greek and Roman statues on display. It really is quite breath-taking when you walk into the hall.
Next was high tea. This was a recommendation of a New Yorker, and it was so much fun. It was in the prettiest place, with chandeliers and everything. You ordered your pot of tea and then they brought you a three-tiered tray fill with miniature pastries, sandwiches and treats. They were delectable. It felt very British and very high class.
Next was window shopping along 5th Avenue and a little trip to the west village for dinner at Corner Bistro Burgers. We were told that they had the best burger in NYC. I have to say, they were pretty tasty. At the end of the night, we decided to cab home. We were exhausted and didn’t feel like trekking back to the subway. So I hailed my first taxi. There is something very fulfilling about sticking your arm out, yelling “Taxi!” and having one screech to a stop in front of you.
My last full day in NY started with a trip to the MoMA. They had so many famous artists. The art is so much prettier in real life. And some of the paintings are so much bigger than you imagine. For example, Monet’s Water Lilies is three panels – and each panel is probably 15 feet long and 10 feet high. Klimt, Kirchner, Delaunay, and Andrew Wyeth were also among my favorites.
For our last night there, we went to a Broadway play. We went and saw Gypsy. Patti LuPone starred and it was fabulous. It was so much fun getting dressed up and going out for the show. It was a great way to end our trip.
Our last day consisted of Super Shuttle, a long plane ride, and me being very irritable. I think I was exhausted from too little sleep and too much fun. It was fantastic.
1 comment:
1. I got butterflies in my stomach just thinking about hailing a cab. I can only imagine it would be very satisfying to be able to stop traffic at a wave of your hand.
2. I got butterflies just envisioning the Water Lily painting that freakin' huge...about the same feeling as I did when I saw Shamu for the first time.
3. You look very fetch in that purple dress.
4. I WANNA GO TO NEW YORK! I WANNA GO TO NEW YORK!
Post a Comment