Monday, May 28, 2012

Paris! (This one's for you, mom :)

I'm back! Today's topic:  Paris.  (yeah yeah.  I know it was over a year ago).

Last February I packed my giant suitcase to the maximum limit (I just never know what shoes I will feel like wearing), got on a plane and set out for Europe.  I hardly slept the night before I left.  I think I was just too excited or anxious about being in a new place, not having seen Claudiu in months and months, and wondering if I had packed just the right outfits to disguise my American roots. No fanny pack, check.  I figured I would have plenty of time to sleep on the 10.5 hour flight to Amsterdam.  So after boarding the plane I took a Xanax, put on my eye mask, neck pillow, ear plugs, closed my eyes and did not sleep one bit!  Meh.  I had a short layover in Amsterdam and then was off to Stuttgart, Germany where Claudiu picked me up.

The next morning we took a high speed train to Paris.

Yep, the train does say "357 mph, world's fastest railway speed".  I was slightly nervous about rocketing through the German/French countryside, but I'm pretty sure we got nowhere near that speed.  The train dropped us at a massive train station in the center of Paris.  It took a little time to get oriented and be able to read metro maps and learn a few french words.  It really really sucked that I couldn't use my iPhone there.  The one place where the GPS function would have been so handy.  So we went the old fashioned route and looked like tourists pulling out our paper maps.  Somehow we managed to get on all the right metros.  There seems to be no escalators or working elevators in this country, so it was entertaining lugging my massive suitcase up flights and flights of stairs and wandering the crowded subway tunnels.  (Blast my decision to bring all those clothes).

Once we got settled we wandered around the Monmarte neighborhood to find dinner and do a little sight seeing before calling it a night.  We stopped at the Sacré-Coeur Basilica.  This was one of the places I was super excited to see in Paris.  The building is actually super white and you can see it from all over Paris.

I had my mind blown several times on this trip.  It is so amazing to see such old architecture and history.  This was a beautiful old cathedral that is on the highest hill in Paris.  You can see the whole city up there.

The next day was a marathon walking tour of Paris that was amazing and overwhelming.  I completely wore myself out this day (the jet lag didn't help either).  First stop was the Eiffel Tower.  It is crazy to walk out of the metro station and see this huge looming tower in front of you.

It was breathtaking and definitely something I had always wanted to see in person.  I was so super excited to be there!

That day we saw so may things...

L'Hôtel national des Invalides (The National Residence of the Invalids).
Napolean Bonaparte is buried under the golden dome.  
Some military building,
Beautiful statues and monuments,
La Grande Roue,
 
and lots and lots of carousels.  
We wandered down the Avenue des Champs-Elysees where you can peer into the gorgeous luxury shops and get a peek at some upscale french fashion.  There are also lots of flower shops and cafes full of delicious treats.


 
It is impossible to wander down any street in Paris and not see something amazing.  Everywhere you look.  Really.  So many cathedrals and monuments and statues and architectural details.  It's all fantastic.  
Remarkable things start to look ordinary.  The famous things are even better than you imagine as they really have to stand out amidst all the other things.  

We wandered around the Louvre.  We spent hours and hours there and did not even see a quarter of this place.  It is MASSIVE.  We did see the Mona Lisa.  And it was as expected.  Meh.  
The building itself is really beautiful and it is cool to walk around and think that Marie Antoinette once wandered the same halls (before she moved to Versailles).  

Another evening we wandered across the Seine to the Isle de la Cite.  Here we just happned to run across Notre Dame.  
Wow.  
We ended up coming back again so we could see it in the day time and then a third time so that we could go up the bell towers.  
We walked up 422 stone steps that were built in the 13th century.  You can see grooves in the stone from use.  It felt strange imagining all the different people that have walked up those steps in the last 800+ years.  

At the top you have panoramic views of Paris and a close up view of the gargoyles.  
We also made a trip back to the Eiffel Tower so we could ride to the top at night.  
It is super scary riding up an elevator that high.  
One of my favorite stops was La Sainte-Chapelle.  If you are ever in Paris, go here. Seriously.  It is a tall narrow cathedral that is made almost entirely of stained glass.  It completely took my breath away.  
It's much better in real life.  Photos don't do it justice.  The windows are the old testament entirely in pictures.  

We also saw the Musee de Orsay.  This museum has a large collection of impressionist art.  There is so much incredible stuff here.  Degas, Bonnard, Monet, Manet, Van Gogh, and Gaugin.  I liked this museum much more that the Louvre.  

One of the best things there was the public transportation.  It is the best of any city I've ever been in.  I never ever waited more than 3 minutes for a train and never had to walk more than a couple blocks to find a metro station.  Amazing.  (Just remember the word sortie (exit) or you can end up getting lost in the underground tunnels!)

It is true that the Parisians really don't like to speak English and we did meet a couple people who seemed unfriendly.  However, we found that if you made some sort of attempt at speaking French, no matter how awful it sounded, they were much more likely to be helpful and to speak English.  

Paris' beauty and charm lies in its small shops, cafes, markets and bakeries.  The bakeries!  Don't even get me started.  I ate at one every single day.  Seriously.  
They are literally on every block and full of delicious things.  The most expensive items are around 3 euros.  Fresh baguettes are 1 euro.  There are pastries and bread galore, macaroons, sandwiches with meat and cheese, croissants, quiche etc.  We ended up eating at the boulangeries (bakeries) most of the time because they were so good and affordable.

Paris really grew on me.  Initially it seemed dirty and overwhelming, but on my last day there I was a bit sad to say goodbye.
I had a wonderful time here.  Au revoir Paris...and merci.  





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merci, Catherine! I loved it. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Paris! I am so happy you got to go. The pictures were exciting. Is the last picture the Seine River? J'tieme! Mom

catherine said...

It is the Seine River. It runs through the center of the city and there are lots of little bridges crossing it. Notre Dame as well as Ste. Chappelle sit on a tiny little island in the Seine.

Anonymous said...

I loved your pictures so much, I got up this morning and looked at them again! I had no idea those churches were on an island. I forgot to tell you--I love the picture of you and Claudiu. I looks professional. Also, just as I posted my first comment, I realized I misspelled je t'aime. It has been too long ago. Anyway--I love you, Mom

catherine said...

Ha. I would have never known it was misspelled.

Jen said...

Yeah! Finally! A blog! You have no idea that I wake up every morning and think, "Maybe today is the day Cathy will post a blog." That is why it has taken me a week to read this one...:) I'm blaming my vacation on that one! You and Claudiu look so cute together! Aaww. Your pictures are totally beautiful and I wish I could see all those places in person...maybe someday. Miss you and love you!

catherine said...

Ha! I was wondering when you were going to read this :)